Back To the Barre
It’s back to school season and that means coming back to the studio to begin a new year of training. For most dancers, that means a mixture of excitement, hope, and maybe a little bit of nerves about some of the big events they may have coming up. That could be a performance you have been waiting for, an audition, an exam, or even joining a new level.
Here are a few things you can do to keep yourself calm and get prepared for what’s to come.
- Set realistic goals. Ballet is a difficult art form to master so remember to be patient with yourself and set goals that are manageable.
- Get lots of rest. When we get tired it becomes more difficult to be patient with ourselves and with others. It is also important for your body so that it can heal and remain strong!
- Eat well. This one is super important! Contrary to popular belief, dancers need to eat well in order to have enough fuel for their strenuous training. Make sure to have enough healthy snacks and plenty to drink along with your regular meals!
- Ease back in and listen to your body. It is easy to get over excited and try to push too hard too soon. Remember to listen to your body and give yourself time to get fully back in shape to avoid injury. *A little vinegar can help ease those sore and stiff muscles. Try the recipe below!
Here at H/W we have a lot to look forward to this year and our students are already working hard and slowly getting prepared. We have the upcoming Fluid Festival, our annual Blue Gala, a school trip to Hamburg, and of course our end of the year show.
What are you looking forward to for the coming year?
*Honey Cayenne Apple Cider Vinegar Drink
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey (ideally raw and local)
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups of warm/hot water
- Mix together until honey has dissolved. Serve warm or pop in the fridge to chill.